LASIK (Laser Assisted In-Situ Keratomileusis) is a laser vision correction procedure that can reduce or eliminate dependence on glasses and contact lenses. The procedure combines the cool beam of an excimer laser with the skill of a surgeon to correct common refractive errors such as myopia (nearsightedness), hyperopia (farsightedness), and even astigmatism. LASIK does not correct cataracts, macular degeneration, glaucoma or other ocular conditions. LASIK gently but effectively reshapes the cornea, one of the primary focusing mechanisms of the eye.
- When one is nearsighted, the cornea is too steep and light does not focus correctly onto the retina. LASIK flattens the cornea, so light may focus correctly.
- When one is farsighted, the cornea is too flat and light does not focus correctly onto the retina. In this case, LASIK steepens the cornea, so light may focus correctly.
- When one suffers from astigmatism, the cornea of the eye is more curved on one side than it is on the other, like a football. For patients with astigmatism, LASIK reshapes the cornea to a more spherical shape
Tenafly Eye Associates is proud to offer LASIK using the Wavelight EX500 Excimer Laser by Alcon; the most advanced and quickest excimer laser available in the United States. Alcon has built this new technology to deliver accurate refractive laser treatments, making the Wavelight EX500 today’s leading laser in the industry. At Tenafly Eye Associates, we are pleased to offer our patients this top notch technology along with its following benefits:
- Precision- Designed to deliver fast ablation times with superb outcomes, this modernized technology helps to reduce the possible risks of flap shrinkage, eye movement sensitivity, fixation fatigue, and stromal dehydration of the cornea.
- Treatment Options- The laser is customized for each unique eye, fixating on pupil centration and corneal centration. The Wavelight EX500 contains a powerful multi-dimensional eye tracker which assists in the accuracy of the incisions and corneal flap. This option allows for different treatment variations depending on the uniqueness of each patient’s eye.
- Sharper Vision- With an optimized shot distribution, the laser sustains a high pulse frequency which reduces halos and glare. This technique allows for clearer vision during night time driving and sunny days.
At Tenafly Eye Associates, we strive to provide our patients with safe and effective procedures. The Wavelight EX500 helps us to deliver the best outcomes of your surgery coupled with safe and the latest technology. Contact us today to schedule an appointment with one of our highly trained and recommended eye physicians.